New startx behavior in testing?

Since last night's Woody upgrade, startx no longer
works as before.  Now, it completely ignores
~/.xsession and does not even create a default session
if .xsession does not exist which leads me to believe
that Xsession is never sourced.  This means that
the X server quits as soon as it's started.

I tried xinit--symlinking ~/.xinitrc to ~/.xsession--and
it worked fine.  I accidentally left the link in place
and tried startx...voila! it worked.  Removing
the link breaks it again.

Is this purposeful behavior?  The only related
bug against xbase-clients seems to be 111009
but the resolution to that seems to require
man-page fix, not a change in session behavior.

Best,
  -=greg