Apache and virtual hosts

Dear Mr, Mrs,

I'm running linux for a long time. Being loyal to RedHat, I came in contact with users of Debian. I downloaded this Distribution, Removed RedHat, installed Debian (wich was a breeze), and have a working system.
Debian is FAR more faster and stable than RedHat. Thanks...

The only problem i still can't figure out is this one:

I'm running apache 1.3.9-13 (wich came with the latest debain Potato). but what ever i try to do, i cannot setup virtual hosts on my box. With RedHat this was easy. (note: i have 1 static ip number on this server)

Just add something like:

<VirtualHost my.ip.number>
DocumentRoot /location of the webpage
Servername subdomain.mydomain.com
</Virtualhost>

and all worked well... NOT with Debian.

I cannot get it to work... HELP!

Am i doing something "stupid", or is it a Debian thing... ?

Can someone please help me Quickly? We're in kinda hurry!

Sincerely,

Rogier van Gemert