lost in kde packages

I attempted to upgrade my working kde 2.1 system to 2.2. My attempt has left
me with a half-working, error spewing, broken konqueror, mess.

Attempting to complete the half-completed installation produces the following
error:

bear:~# apt-get -f install
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 5  not upgraded.
63 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
dpkg: parse error, in file `/var/lib/dpkg/available' near line 50969 package
`doc-linux-html':
 empty file details field `MD5sum'
bear:~#

Any apt-get command produces this same error.  Any advice on what to do about
it?