uprgraded to woody x doesnt work

Hello, I just upgraded to woody, and now X wont work. The upgrade went
smoothly and I didnt get any errors. Whenever I try to start X it just
freezes and uses up 100% cpu, I have to go to my other computer to kill
the process. Thats what happens with the old config file, I tried running
xf86config but after I do, X gives me errors complains about "extmod" and
after I comment out the lines for it in the config file it says something
like "unkown section: input device". My card is a ati rage pro 8mb,
monitor is an old 15 inch (horizontal sync: 30-54, vert. refresh rate:
50-100, was able to get 1152x864 with 3.3.6).