Re: gnome sound

> BTW, I don't know much about ALSA, but it is not possible to have alsa
> _and_ other stuff at the same time (I tried so I could dabble with it
> and see what it is about).

This is not true.  ALSA provides OSS emulation.  All of your ALSA and OSS
applications can use the sound device at the same time.  Many applications
(ESD, XMMS, vlc, Xine, arts) can be configured to use either the
(superior) ALSA interface or the old OSS interface.

> A nice feature of esd, though I haven't really tried it yet, is the
> ability to play sound remotely.  This would be cool to have the laptop
> on the LAN with real speakers plugged in but playing the mp3s from my
> workstation.

This is a nice feature!  Again I wish to repeat that ESD works fine with
ALSA, and ALSA allows as many applications as you want to use the sound
device.

-jwb