Re: not cleanly unmounted?

>>>>> "bobrye" == bobrye  <bobrye@optushome.com.au> writes:

bobrye> hi. after recompiling 2.4.10, my boot process is fine until
bobrye> the end where i get an error: "/dev/hdd2 was not cleanly
bobrye> unmounted, check forced" and fsck goes and does its business
bobrye> for a couple of minutes. i find this annoying, as i DO cleanly
bobrye> unmount before i off the machine. any clues for a newbie?
bobrye> thanks.

My current sysvinit (2.83-1) has this in the changelog.Debian:

  * Turn off write-caching on all IDE disks prior to unmounting
    filesystems. On some systems that poweroff on halt the system
    powers off before the IDE disk write cache is flushed. You do
    need to have hdparm installed to get this to work.

I suppose this is the problem. Try installing the sysvinit and hdparm
from woody (or maybe sid) to see if that fixes the problem.

--
G. ``Iggy'' Geens - ICQ: #64109250
Home: <ggeens@iname.com> - Work: <guy.geens@cgey.be>