how to get truetype fonts in all applications

Hi,
To get truetype fonts I have installed xfstt and xfs on my Debian-cid machine.
For one part it's working now, in mozilla and Skipstone I now have a list in which I can choose the font I want.

The problem is to get the fonts in a non-debian application "Jedit".
When I want to change the font there only the old standard fonts are showing up.

Does anyone has any idea how that come?

Another question is: is it necesary to install xfs and xfstt?
I have followed the Debian ttfont howto, but all seems to work the same (without ttfonts in Jedit) when I only install xfstt.

Thanks,
Hans