Woody: X won't start after upgrade to 4.1

Hello,
I have just updated/upgraded my Woody system with apt-get. This
changed XFree86 from 4.0.3 to 4.1.1

When I type "startx" the server starts then exits. I did not change
anything. I ran xf86config but get the same effect.

My Xfree86.0.log is 22kb so I'm reluctant to post it straight away.

I would welcome any suggestions .

regards,
		Tim Wood

The computer is a laptop (Gateway 5150) but the standard settings
have worked in the past. It has a Neomagic NM2200 (256AV) video
chip with 2.5Mb of video RAM. The screen is a TFT 1024*768.

I have not been able to use the Synaptics Touchpad since moving
Potato -> Testing/Woody, but found it easier to use a PS/2
external mouse anyway.