modem doesn't dial with pon.

I have a machine ( pentium75 with no fans at all so I can leave it running
all the time ) that I would like to set up as a dial on demand machine for
the rest of the boxes on my home network except I'm having a few problems.
So I thought I would list the ones here I haven't found answers too in docs
or online.

1. I set up my scripts in /etc/ppp/peers/ and /etc/chatscripts the default
'provider' and everything looks correct according to all the documentation I
have read. Now when I go to dial my machine never actually uses my modem it
just adds two interfaces with ppp0. One with destination 10.112.112.112 and
the other with gateway 10.112.112.112.

I'm not sure what I have wrong but I just cannot get my modem to dial with
pon.

( I installed wvdial and it works, but I need to be able to use diald etc.
once I sort this problem out. )