Network Card diagnostics

I have a computer that has an on-board network card that doesnt seem to be
working properly.  We already took it in to be serviced once(we have a
warentee), but the service people took for a few hours and when we picked it
up they said it was a software problem and propmtly charged us $40 for a
false alarm(as they called it).  We took it home and it worked fine for a
while.  Now it is acting up again.  I am thinking that they fixed and said
that just so they could charge us the $40.  I was wondering if there was any
utilities within debian that I could install on it to check that the network
card is bad.  Anything that acctually checks the hardware to see if it is
responding and that it can reach the network.  Thankyou