netatalk from source problems

-- my apologies if this is a duplicate message, it doesn't seem to have gone
-- through the first time though...unless there's a 24 hour lag...

Hello all --
    I'm attempting to build netatalk from its source package, due to the
fact that the binary package doesn't seem to support encrypted passwords. I
keep getting an error after doing:

debian/rules binary

debian/rules build works fine and completes without any noticeable errors.
When I do debian/rules binary though, I get an error stating:

dpkg-shlibdeps -pnetatalk debian/build/netatalk/usr/bin/*
debian/build/netatalk/usr/sbin/*

unable to open 'debian/build/netatalk/usr/bin/hqx2bin' for test at
/usr/bin/dpkg-shlibdeps line 79

I'm pretty new with Debian, and don't yet have a full grasp of how packaging
works, so I'm stumped. I assume it's checking the binaries for dependencies
before packing everything up, but when I look in the
debian/build/netatalk/usr/bin directory, everything is just a symbolic link
to a nonexistent file called "megatron".

Is this something wrong with the package, or am I doing something wrong. For
some background, I simply downloaded the source and diffs to /usr/src with
apt-get source netatalk. After that I uncommented the Makefile line pointing
to the DES libraries and stuck the libraries in. I'm running 2.4.9 with
appletalk compiled in...but I'm sure that doesn't matter...the binary
version is running fine as I speak and as I said...it builds fine. Just wont
package...so tell me this is a simple problem and I'm just dumb and I'll be
happy :-)

Thank you very much for any help,
Brian Boucheron.