Re: Is initrd useful/necessary with a custom kernel?

On Sun, Oct 14, 2001 at 09:03:57AM -0600, John Purser wrote:
| I'm running Woody with a 2.4.10 kernel.  When I first upgraded from 2.2.19
| to 2.4.9 I had to add a line to lilo.conf telling where the initrd was in
| order to boot.  After reading man initrd and initrd.txt from the kernel
| documentation it seemed that the initrd was only useful/necessary for
| creating a generic kernel.  In my current kernel ram disk is not enabled.  I
| commented out the initrd line in lilo.conf and ran lilo and the system now
| boots just fine.
|
| My question is am I missing anything by cutting out the initrd phase of
| boot?

If you didn't enable the initrd in the kernel config, and if you
didn't create an initrd (can be done with the --initrd option to
make-kpkg) then you don't have an initrd nor support in the kernel so
the boot loader shouldn't try and load it.  You only need it if you
built the kernel so that it needs it.

-D