Pb with burner

I run Debian unstable, kernel 2.4.8 on a Celeron 600
machine (overclocked @810 MHz)with my cd-burner on hdc
and it is the only CD-ROM unit.
I have the scsi emulation activated, and the burner is
on scsi0.
I first made it work by using /dev/sr0 as its entry in
/dev.
But then, I installed the man-pages (as a .deb
package) and cdrecord (the last version in .tar
archive). Since then, the burner won't work, and
freezes the system each time I try to access it.

It says time out is set to 0, and the drive only
accepts a time out of 14!! But even with time out of 0
(i.e. using /dev/sr0 or /dev/scd0), I HAD no problems.
I can't find a solution to this. I tried to run my
processor @600 MHz again, but it had no effect.

If you have a solution, please send it to me, because
I have everything else working under Linux, and if it
was not for this, I could work almost exclusively
under Linux (just need to configure the printer, the
scanner)
Thanks for your help.

=====
Frédérick Chesneau