PCMCIA under potato

I've installed and compiled the pcmcia source coming with Bunk's stuff
under potato and kernel 2.4.9 (of course enabling pcmcia in the
kernel). Then I've installed pcmcia-cs.

Now when I start pcmcia service with two cards inserted (a modem and an ethernet card) the answer is as follows:

debian:/home/dada# /etc/init.d/pcmcia start
Starting PCMCIA services: modules/lib/modules/2.4.9/pcmcia/i82365.o: init_module: No such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
/lib/modules/2.4.9/pcmcia/ds.o: init_module: Operation not permitted
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
 cardmgr.

What's going wrong?
How can I detect what io port and irq is used by pcmcia and what should I set to have the pcmcia work?

Vittorio