Re: booting W95 from a second harddrive with grub

On Sat, 13 Oct 2001 17:51:52 -0400
"Bruce Miller" <bruce.miller@ottawa.com> wrote:

> I believe that you are getting too complicated. Windows is, indeed,
> not very flexible but I am not sure that the comments in this thread
> are either correct or relevant to the real problem.

Complicated? Yes (not our fault). Correct and relevant? Yes. See below

> What happens is the passing of control from the MBR to the first
> sector of each partition which then boots the OS in that partition.
> Once the MBR has passed control to the boot record of another
> partition, Windows cares no more than any other OS which
> physical disk or which partition it is on provided always that the
> Windows tools have declared its partition bootable.

Not true, at least not for Windows 95.
http://www.v-com.com/support/sup_os95.html
(from the makers of the excellent System Commander since Microsoft's
Website doesn't seem to want to fess up to this)
"The boot portion of Windows 95 can only be installed onto the first
physical drive. The Windows 95 boot record always reads sectors from the
first physical hard drive, and will behave unpredictably when booted
from another physical hard drive."
"Windows 95 cannot be installed into an extended or logical partition.
It will only boot from a Primary FAT partition."

> Please excuse the brisk tone of this message. My overall approach
> is: K.I.S.S. --- Keep it simple, ... Do let me know if the suggestion
> works.

Like pretty much everything else that does not come from Redmond,
K.I.S.S. is not compatible with Windows :-)