Shouldbe EASY?

All right, this would not have happened had there been kernel images for
potato (or an obvious link thereto) near the basic potato distribution
folder, but the critter IS running, as long as I log in at various alt-F1
to alt-F6s and leave it awaiting commands on  some of them.

But there's no obvious place to defnurgle /etc/inittab or whatever other
configuration file I need to defnurgle, to stop this lonesome modprobe that
scrolls all over my screen looking for its lost "modules.dep".

(It begins during the boot process & continues until I've logged on and
gotten the critter awaiting commands, then returns if I give it one on the
wrong terminal, WHILE a command is executing, and also when I log out or
shut down.

This is no doubt a valuable learning experience, but can someone please let
me know WHAT I'll need to learn for this & where to look for it?

Forrest Curo
San Diego