Re: booting W95 from a second harddrive with grub

On Sat, Oct 13, 2001 at 10:08:38AM -0700, Tim Moss wrote:
| On Sat, 13 Oct 2001 12:08:38 -0400
| "ae roy" <ae.roy@operamail.com> wrote:
|
| > I have lying about a 120MB drive, very old, with W95 on it, and I'm
| > trying to
| > boot it using grub, but it doesnt work. This is what I have in my grub
| > fi
| > le
| >

| Windows' system partition has to be on the first disk.

Yeah, windows isn't flexible at all.

| With lilo, you can use the
| disk=
|   bios=
| options (see man lilo.conf) to "switch" the disks around. I don't know
| if grub has a similar option but it might be something to look for.

Yes, grub has the 'map' and 'hide' commands, but they only work if the
BIOS supports mapping drives.  The easiest thing is to put the windows
disk first and the linux one second because linux is nice and flexible
and won't complain about it (just be sure and update your menu.lst and
fstab first so they point to the right disks).

HTH,
-D