No luck with getting xdm to work

	I have read the mini-HOWTO on www.linuxdoc.org and RTFM. Here is what
appears in /var/log/xdm.log

AUDIT: Fri Oct 12 20:02:22 2001: 359 X: client 3 rejected from local host
  Auth name: XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 ID: -1
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
xmodmap:  unable to open display ':0'

	This appears whether I try to log in as root or as a regular user.
I can start X using startx with root only.

	The scenario is this; I enter my username and password, the screen
goes blank for a second and then presents me with the login screen again.
Luckily I'm able to get into a vt with alt-ctrl-F[1-6]. I must be missing
something simple.

Thanks in advance
Ian