newby kernel installation II

The actual PROBLEM I wanted help with was with having installed the basic
stable gnu-linux system from debian WITH a compact kernel image from
ANOTHER part of the site [did not seem to BE one where I needed it!) ,
which seems to have ONE bad fit:

the kernel seems to periodically run a process that calls modprobe, which
looks unsuccessfuly for "modules.dep" in /lib/modules/2.2.19.pre17, and
prints an error message all over the screen.

If I manage to log on from several alt-f# ttys, the message stops while
waiting for commands, so I can go ps -e -f, but of course it doesn't SHOW
the process because it's stopped to wait for commands.

If I put in a dummy modules.dep (even the one from the basic system moved
to the right directory) I am REALLY in trouble, because the kernel runs
modprobe before finishing booting, and won't let me log in.

I can muck around with things by reaching down through //target with the
rescue disk, but I don't know either where to find the files to make
modprob happy or how to put a stake through it's nasty little heart.

Help?

Forrest Curo
San Diego