Tool to estimate ftp and/or http performance

Say I have a list of mirrors from which to choose (for example Deian).

Some may use ftp, some HTTP.

My employers network is soo large and opaque (routing, proxy hyerarchy,
etc.) to us poor end users that it's not always (or I should say almost
never) true that FTPing or HTTPing to a mirror in my country (Italy) results
in the faster transfer.

Is there a tool to which I can provide a list of URLs and  that based on an
actual 50-100K transfer shows the more performant server ?

Thank you very much. Bob Alexander