Re: OT (Re: Software DVD players)

> > OK for people with the spare cash for a DVD player and
> > 29" TV, how about you shell out for one for all of the rest
> > of us?
>
> A DVD player and 29" TV can probably be had for less money
> than many people spend on 'upgrades' of their computers every
> year !!

It's a specious argument. As you said, a DVD player and a 29" TV can
be had for in the neighborhood of $500. Sure, maybe I spend that much
on my computer every year, but I sure don't spend that much on my
computer's movie-playing capabilities. I spend that money on features
that are useful in other areas, e.g. more memory or disk space.

Also, some of us college students would have a little trouble fitting
a 29" TV and DVD player into our rooms.

Finally, a decent software DVD player can play back DVDs at high
resolution, if the disc is encoded for it. TVs that display at the
same resolution cost into the thousands.

--
Geoffrey M. Romer
gromer@hmc.edu