X won't start without .xinitrc/.xsession

I'm running XFree86 Version 4.1.1.1 on Debian (Sid) with a 2.4.7 kernel. This is a fresh install.

If I create a .xinitrc in my home directory and put a window manager in it, X starts fine. However, without the .xinitrc X won't start. On all other systems I've installed, X starts without a user have .xinitrc, so I'm concluding that a default xinitrc is not being read. This also means that a graphical session manager (KDM is the only one I've tried) doesn't work either.

I looked at /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc, which I would have thought was the global xinitrc file, and it sources /etc/X11/Xsession.

So I looked in etc/X11/Xsession, and I can't really make sense of the file, nor do I see a reference to any window managers.

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing?

Thanks!

Kent