re: xdm crash

On 11 Oct, Sidney Brooks wrote:
> I decided to reinstall the Debian package xdm since it wasn't working,
> using dpkg. When I tried, I got the error message:
> unable to fill /var/lib/dpkg/updates/tmp.i with padding: No space left on
> device
>
> This suggests that the new files that I downloaded were so large that they
> filled my hard disk. What command can I use to check the available space on
> the hard disk. I know how to do this with gnome, but I am stuck with run
> level 3, which is like dos.

I know you've already taken care of the problem, but for next time that
you're stuck in console mode, or whatever...  try "df -h".  "df"
reports the free space, and the "-h" reports the amounts in the most
appropriate units for a human to read.

HTH,
--
Stephen Ryan                                        Debian GNU/Linux
Technology Coordinator