Re: How to use Linux as a dial-up provider?

On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 09:49:16PM -0500, Kent West wrote:
| I don't know exactly the terminology to use. I'd like to set up a Linux
| box on the ethernet at home, slap a modem on it (attached to an analog
| line of course), and then dial-up from home to the modem, authenticate,
| and have internet access. In essence, I want to be my own ISP, allowing
| myself to dial into the T1 via my office Linux box.
|
| Can anyone point me to HOWTOs?

Ok, I'm just shooting in the dark here, but here's what I think needs
to be done :

    have the modem signal a program (getty?) when it gets a call

    getty performs the login/authentication, then invokes pppd instead
    of a shell (or gives you a shell, and you have to run 'ppp'
    yourself from the chat script)

    ppp[d?] performs its side of the PPP connection and iptables (or
    ipchains) does masquerading for you so it appears that your linux
    box at work is using the T1, not your box at home

I hope this points you in the right direction or gives you some ideas,
-D