Re: ytalk...

On Tue, Nov 30, 1999 at 04:03:05PM -0600, Alexander Wallace wrote:
> Using mesg y fixes the problem... Now, how do I make a mesg y permanent
> for each user?

Look in /etc/login.defs and change TTYPERM to 0620 (sorry, I should have
mentioned that in my earlier message - although Ben Collins' response to
me in bug #59439 suggests that this may not work ... hmm).

If that doesn't work, you can put 'mesg y' in /etc/profile. That will
apply to login shells started by all users. Per-user configuration is in
~/.bash_profile and ~/.bashrc (for login and non-login shells
respectively, see the INVOCATION section in 'man bash').

> Is there a way to make that change automatic for every new user that I
> create from now on?

Changes to /etc/profile will apply both to all current users and to all
users you create in the future. To cause changes to ~/.bash* to be the
default for future users, edit the respective files in the /etc/skel
directory.

Cheers,