Shutdown not working

When I try to halt or reboot my Debian desktop (running woody), the system gets
to "Deconfiguring network interfaces:" and then just seems to stop. It's not
hung, because I can ALT+Fx to different terminals, and I can also ping the
machine from other hosts. But, for whatever reason, the system does not seem to
be shutting down. I did finally let it sit for a few minutes and it eventually
rebooted, but why is it taking so long to do that? What processes are going on
and how can I speed things up?

--
Darryl L. Pierce <mcpierce@telocity.com>
The Infobahn Offramp <http://welcome.to/mcpierce>