problem installing dhelp

When trying to install dhelp, I get the following weird message:

    dhelp_parse: can't open /var/lib/dhelp/titles

Even if I purge dhelp and then reinstall (so that /var/lib/dhelp is
deleted) it still happens. Yes, I'm running as root; no, the immutable
bit is not set; and no, I'm not currently running any sort of advanced
security software like LIDS. Anybody have ANY idea why this could
be happening? I'm at a loss. Any insight on this would be greatly
appreciated, as I really like the services dhelp provides.

Thanks in advance.

--
John Patton                      patton66@home.com

"Never mistake knowledge for wisdom. One helps you make
a living; the other helps you make a life."  - Sandra Carey