Starting X early

Hello,
I'm looking for a way to start X (kdm to be exact) before my system is
done booting. On a stock debian system KDM is started at the end of
runlevel 2, S99kdm . However it takes a few seconds before X is started.
My idea was to start kdm a bit earlier so X would start parallel with
the last few items of the runlevel, instead of when it's all done
(saving me some time waiting). So I changed S99kdm into S20kdm.
Now X seems to wait until the rest of the system is done booting before
actually starting, which leaves me staring at a black screen.
I can't find why X is waiting (I assume it's X itself that does the
waiting as my screen flickers and changes to black) or how to change it.
I know it's not a very good idea as I might miss some bootmessages, but
I can handle that.
Any ideas how to start X without waiting until the system is completly
done booting?
--
	Casper Gielen
casper@huiscomputer.homeip.net, capslock2000@subdimension.com