Re: setting time via network at boot

On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 11:54:55PM +1300, Richard Hector wrote:
> I want to avoid having steps in my logs at boot time.

Don't know that you can do that...  Logging starts before the network
does, so you're not going to be able to get time from the network
without the activity being logged.

> The problem is whether the network is up at that point. If not, should I
> use kernel parameters to configure the network instead? Will I need to
> disable the normal network config scripts?

No.  Just `apt-get install ntpdate ntp` and configure them with
appropriate NTP time sources.  ntpdate will run during the boot
process to initially set the time, then ntpd kicks off to maintain
correct time.

> Also, is there any way I can get this working during the install, so
> again I can avoid steps in the logs (and I think things like dpkg & tar
> get confused with screwy times).

They should work fine, but they will complain about future dates.

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Mr. Slippery