Re: Any HOWTOs for firewalling? - gazzillion

hi ya

there is a gazillion various "howto".... too much ..that gets confusing...
and just as many different fw config tools  and more log analysis stuff

	http://www.Linux-Sec.net/Firewall

simplified rules ...
	- let your cable modem just transfer info to/from cable modem
	into your rj45 -- to the firewall/gw

	- setup the ( dual NIC ) fw/gw to 192.168.x.y interal ip#

	- setup IP-forwarding(kernel option) and
	  see the ipmasquerading-howto

	- almost done ... except for the simple/complicated fw rules
	  see the various firewall-howto
		- iptables for linux-2.4.x
		- ipchains for linux-2.2.x

	- your firewall/gw machine should only run ipchains nd turn off
	all other services ... ( email, web, etc...
		- but than you'd need more servers....( a good thing )
		- now you need to do nat'ing from your fw... more howtos

have fun linuxing
alvin