mingw32 cross compiler produces large exe files

I've noticed that using the mingw32 cross compiler under debian seems to
generate exe files much larger than if I compile under windows.

in the order of 11K to 250K which is fairly significant for a very
simple program with 800B of source code!

Does anyone know why this might be, or if there are settings which might
affect compiled file size?

I could probably provide objdump comparisons, but not at the moment,
since windows is at work.

cheers

dc

But, with very few exceptions, it is the composers of
the tunes, not the writers of the words, which have
made our English hymns famous.  The average Englishman
will happily sing any words to a good tune.

                                        Reginald Frary
                               "Don't upset the choir"

David Purton

http://www.chariot.net.au/~dcpurton/