Re: Help! Kernel Panic: VFS Unable to mount root fs on 21:04

On Sat, Oct 06, 2001 at 05:42:19PM -0400, Stan Brown wrote:
| I've tried grub _and_ lilo. Grub just comes up in the interactive menu.
| Lilo starts loading the kernel and then the kernel spits out this meesage.

Is this the same machine you just asked about the initrd stuff for?
To boot with an initrd (as Herbert's packages require) you need the
following sort of layout in grub :

title       Debian GNU/Linux (stock kernel 2.4.9)
root        (hd0,0)
kernel      /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.9-686 root=/dev/hda4 read-only initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.9-686 apm=on
initrd      /boot/initrd-2.4.9-686

Note that you need an initrd= for the kernel and to use 'initrd'
instead of 'boot' at the end of the section.

| This hapened just after I upgraded to the 2.4 kernel from the kernel
| packages for that.

You still have the older kernel to boot so you can fix your setup,
right?

Have you ever booted a 2.4 kernel before?  Do the stock 2.2 kernels
work for you?  Do you have any weird IDE controllers?  When I first
compiled my own 2.4 kernel on this system I accidentally disabled by
IDE controller, thus it couldn't find the disks.

HTH,
-D