Re: Compiled kernel 2.4.9 does NOT boot

On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 04:01:20PM -0500, José Luis Rey wrote:
| I installed kernel-image for 2.4.9 and everything went right, then I
| installed kernel-source 2.4.9 copied the configuration for the kernel
| from /boot/config-2.4.9-586tsc and did as allways:
|    make dep
|    make
|    make modules
|    make modules_install
|    make install
|    mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd-2.4.9-test /lib/modules/2.4.9-test
| and added a test entry in lilo.conf with:
|    image=/vmlinuz.test
|         label=Test
|         read-only
|         initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.9-test
|
| The problem is that after initrd is loaded kernel panics with:
|    Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 03:03
|
| I'm prety shure that my root file system is in /dev/hda3, so I ran rdev
| on two different kernel-images:
|    vmlinuz-2.4.9-586tsc  -> 0x3a05
|    vmlinuz-2.4.9-k6      -> 0x7320
|
| I think this had to do with the devfs thing, so I re-made the kernel
| without DEVFS support and ext2 in the kernel and it booted.
|
| Does anybody knows what happens with devfs, rdev or new kernel booting
| procedure ?, did I miss something from the docs ?

Here is my experiences with kernels and devfs :

    In the kernel commandline, root=/dev/<oldname> but once the kernel
    is running you can use the new names.  (I don't get it, but it is
    the only thing that works)

    I got the above error when I forgot to inlcude the IDE chipset
    driver in my custom kernel.  Enabling that driver made my problems
    go away.

HTH,
-D