Re: Debugger for C programming?

On Tuesday 02 October 2001 14:32 pm, mdevin@ozemail.com.au wrote:
> Is there a good debugger for C programming.  You know, the kind of thing
> that lets you step through a line at a time running your program and put
> watches on variables etc.
>
> I am doing an assignment for Uni, and have been just adding printf
> statements in my code to check variable values etc.  But others who are
> using a Micro$oft compiler say they have the benefit of being able to
> step through a line at a time.
>
> Now I know that Linux rules for C programming, so what do all you
> programmers use to debug your code?
>
> Thanks.
> Mark.

Well, there is gcc for C compilation... and gdb for debugging!

The GNU Debugger should offer all the functionality you need for C/C++
programming. There are numerous graphical front-ends available too, such as
DDD and KDbg.

Of course, since you're (presumably) using Debian, don't forget about the
wonderful tool apt-cache:

apt-cache search debugger

will give you a nice list of packages.

John.