AW: DNS forwarding

All client machines use only one DNS server and that's the
internet router. So it must be something else. But what about
these 'root servers'? I wrote them to a config file as mentioned
in the DNS-HOWTO, can it be that bind tries to contact them every
time on a DNS query and is this perhaps the reason why it takes so
long?