kernel 2.4.10 and linus vs ac VM?

I am confused about the state of the 2.4.10 kernel.

It seems that there are two VMs that are going to "fight it out" moving
forward: the original one (in the ac line of code) and a new one (in the
main line of code).

Before this became clear, I was planning to move up to 2.4.10 from 2.4.4
as it seemed that things were converging to a stable core.

Can someone help me understand if I should move to the new VM or just
wait for this to all get sorted out? What is being done for the next
release of Debian? (I'm running 2.2r3 with Adrian Bunk's 2.4 packages).

-- Randy