Re: ftpd - slow to connect

Sven Hoexter wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 05:36:27PM +0100, Alex Hunsley wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > I'm running the standard ftpd on my debian (potato) machine. When I ftp in,
> > there is a 20 second pause between the message "Connected to <machine>" and the
> > login prompt actually coming up. Is there any reason for this delay? Is it a
> > setting somewhere or something? I can't imagine what it could be doing that
> > would take 20 seconds...
> Is your DNS setup corect?

I'm not sure.
I know that /etc/resolv.conf contains the following:

 search flat.org
 nameserver 10.0.0.1

which is correct AFAICS, as 10.0.0.1 is the DHCP and name server on our
network.

Someone was telling me last week how to do a verbose name lookup, so you could
see how the system was trying to resolve names, but I can't remember how. Does
this ring any bells with anyone?

ta
alex