Re: connecting MS-Win 2000 client to Linux server via ppp null modem

* John Kerr Anderson (jkanders@svsu.edu) spake thusly:
> Has anyone been successful on connecting a MS-Windows 2000 computer to a
> Linux server via ppp null modem?  I have consulted the serial lap link
> howto and PPP howto.
>
> I keep on getting a message from my Linux computer that the connection is
> not 8 bit clean.  I cannot find anyway to change the word size on the
> MS-Win computer.  If I type "CLIENT" in the terminal window of the Windows
> client the Linux server claims that a PPP connection is made, but ifconfig
> says there is no connection.  I never get to a point where authentication
> takes place.

Turn on debug and kdebug on server side. Use a terminal program on
client side. Hopefully this way you'll get enough information to figure
out what's wrong.

"Not 8-bit clean" on client side usually means the server is sending out
ASCII characters (e.g. login prompt) when client expects PPP frames.
Dunno what's happening in your case. (Why not use ethernet, anyway?)

Dima
--
One distinguishing characteristic of BOFHen is attention deficit disorder.
Put me in front of something boring and I can find a near-infinite number