Re: Email all users

On Sat, 29 Sep 2001, Mike Egglestone wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know of such a way to email all the users
> a quick message without having to send the email seperately
> to each user?

There might be more than one way. If everyone checks their mail via POP,
your pop server might have a bulletin feature (qpopper does, I know, not
sure about others). If so, you can write a message, stick it in a
particular directory, and it'll be added to the mail of anyone who pops
their mail. That's my favorite way.

Otherwise, it may depend on your MTA. A sure way is probably to create an
alias in your aliases database (e.g. /etc/mail/aliases). In sendmail (and
likely other MTAs), you can have a line like this:

all:           	:include:/var/local/allusers

...where /var/local/allusers (for example) contains a list of all your
users, one on each line. Then send mail to all@yourdomain.com and it gets
distributed to everyone.

Hope this helps,
Aaron

--
Aaron Hall             :  Bugs>  Rabbit season!
aaron@vitaphone.net    :  Daffy> Duck season!

Macintosh/UNIX Weenie, Network Flack, and...eh, whatever.