Re: (not-debian-)programs not finding libraries on Debian system...

On Sat, Sep 29, 2001 at 17:44:43 +0200, Hugo van der Merwe wrote:
> > Indeed. But there have been Red Hat releases in the past on which
> > applications where compiled to use a hardwired library search path by
> > default.
>
> This program might have been compiled on a RH system, but it depends on
> the source, not the compiler environment, I guess... ?

At that time, the -rpath was introduced by RH's setup of compiler/linker
tools; programs that didn't specify -rpath still got RPATH in their
binaries. This caused irritating problems with products like Red Hat's CDE
which refused to run on Debian systems (the RPATH setting forced its libc5
binaries to be loaded against X libraries linked against libc6).

Ray
--
POPULATION EXPLOSION  Unique in human experience, an event which happened
yesterday but which everyone swears won't happen until tomorrow.