Re: Simple backups

> > I want to make simple backups of my work, nothing more complex than
> > moving things to a different partition and/or disk. I know I can do
> > it with a few commands like tar, gz and cp, but perhaps somebody
> > can tell me about other ways to do it that I should consider.
> > Thanks in advance !
>
> There's a short FAQ on GNU/Linux system backups you may find useful,
> at:
>
>     http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/backups.html

Thanks to all for your help !

Well, in fact, I need two different classes of backup: one is for a few
documents, scripts and programs, which tar.gz'd amounts to less than
one 3-1/2 floppy disk and now I do on a daily basis, copying it to
another partition, another disk and two floppies.
The other one is a backup of the system, including /etc, /home and a
few other things like dpkg selections. Right now I only copy this to
another partition, but I'm making room in the other disk to hold
another copy.

I'm interested in learning how to make a whole partition copy, just in
case the system got screwed up (although perhaps an HDD failure is more
likely.. :) My whole directory tree (except swap of course) is in the
same partition. How can I mirror all this to another partition ?

Thanks again !

Daniel
--
"There is no spoon..." - The Matrix