ide tuning ( results regarding: hdparm or ide howto)

Thanks to those who pointed to resources.  They
gave me a great start and I have solved some of
the problems I had resigned myself to live with
since switching to IDE.  I am now investigating
the kernel's support for my particular chipset and
think I can get an additional siginificant bump
in sustained data rates.

For anyone with newer IDE drives that hasn't
read these texts, do it.  The default drive config
is really conservative. You will be amazed at the
results.

Best,

  -=greg