Re: mixture of potato & testing

On Thursday 27 September 2001 4:41 pm, Vittorio wrote:
> I have an almost pure potato 2.2r3 installation (only 2.4.9 kernel is a
> stranger!) and now I need to download gimp 1.2 which is part of woody &
> testing. Issuing 'apt-get install gimp1.2' from woody I see that it
> requires to download some more new-updated libs and many files for  xfree86
> 4.1.

I'm running a mix of Potato and Woody including Gimp 1.2.1 and all is well.
Kernel 2.4.9 and X4.1  Personally I'd upgrade X first and be sure that is all
sorted first then install Gimp.  Take things one step at a time and you will
at least know at what stage things went wrong should they do so.

That said I generally grab source code and compile it myself after manually
checking the Build depends in ..debian/control.  So far so good.

I'd like a Debian guru to tell me and others why mixing distros is so
dangerous.  Is it just because of the changes in dependances?  Am I safe by
being careful of deps myself?

Cheers,

David.