Re: setup exim for remote outgoing mail

on Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 07:23:15PM -0400, matt (mattlist@MailAndNews.com) wrote:

> here's my situation...
> i have my debian box behind a NAT device (LRP on an old 486)
> i've set up some family with a free isp that blocks port 25 traffic

Inbound, outbound, or both?

> this isp does not provide a SMTP server for their users
> these people use mailandnews.com for their e-mail and i don't want to switch
> them over to softhome (the easy solution)
>
> here's what i want to do...
> set up exim to receive these people's outgoing mail and send it over to the
> recipient.
> i'll have my NAT device to redirect some port (like 2500) to the debian
> machine running exim (i know how to do this)
>
> here's the problem...
> i can't get exim to send mail...all messages (including error replies) get
> frozen
> the closest i've come to solving this is using the satellite option, but that
> only sends mail to mailandnews.com users!

Can you reach an external mailserver?  Try:

    telnet <somehost> 25

...if you can connect, and send SMTP commands (sorry, don't know them
off the top of my head), your problem lies elsewhere.  If you cannot,
then you need to find someone to act as a smarthost for you, as your ISP
is preventing you from sending mail.  Many ISPs now do this as an
anti-spam measure.

Peace.

   Free Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA!  http://www.freesklyarov.org