strange '\' characters

Hi everyone,
  A couple of days ago, a very strange thing started happening.  Every
now and then (I have tried, but really see no pattern), when I type a
character, it is replaced by a '\' character.  Sometimes, instead of
being replaced, it is simply followed by a '\' character.  I have seen
it happen in xterm, emacs, and vi.  It only happens a couple of times
every few hours, so unfortunately, I can't even do good testing to see
if I've killed it.  :(
  Recent events include:
* an unclean shutdown (my battery died) after a couple months of uptime
* first boot in woody (I dist-upgraded, and have been running it for a
  while, but didn't see the need to actually reboot...  I love linux.)
* fiddling with XF86Config to change the Emulate3Timeout setting
* I often switch keyboard layouts, from dvorak to qwerty and back (which
  will actually lead to another question sometime soon)

I would love to give a more complete bug report (contents of interesting
files, etc.) but I don't even know which ones might be of use.

Any suggestions?

-ben

Ben Hartshorne	...Discarding smoothly, as we disembark,
ben@hartshorne.net All thoughts that held us wiser for a moment
ben.hartshorne.net Up there, alone, in the impartial dark. -M. Oliver
My PGP key is at /pgp.txt.  Please encrypt all communications.