Re: lilo

David Raleigh Arnold(dra@openguitar.com) is reported to have said:
> I can't seem to get out of this.  I have lots of boot disks, but very
> little confidence since lilo won't run.  I've tried many combinations,
> read the literature, and I just don't see what's wrong.  How is the
> image not defined?  What's wrong?
>

> # /etc/lilo.conf - See: `lilo(8)' and `lilo.conf(5)',
> # ---------------       `install-mbr(8)', `/usr/share/doc/lilo/',
> #                       and `/usr/share/doc/mbr/'.
>
> # +---------------------------------------------------------------+
> # |                        !! Reminder !!                         |
> # |                                                               |
> # | Don't forget to run `lilo' after you make changes to this     |
> # | conffile, `/boot/bootmess.txt', or install a new kernel.  The |
> # | computer will most likely fail to boot if a kernel-image      |
> # | post-install script or you don't remember to run `lilo'.      |
> # |                                                               |
> # +---------------------------------------------------------------+
>
> # Support LBA for large hard disks.
> #
> lba32
>
> # Specifies the boot device.  This is where Lilo installs its boot
> # block.  It can be either a partition, or the raw device, in which
> # case it installs in the MBR, and will overwrite the current MBR.
> #
> boot=/dev/hdb1

I think that you hane to use hdb instæad of hdb1.

I have to assume, as you didn't say, that you have M$ on hda.  You
could put lilo on hda and set it up to boot M$ and linux.  I have
never tried using lilo on the MBR of hdb myself, YMMV.

<-- --<snip>-- stuff that looks OK -->

> append="mem=512M"
>
> # Boot up Linux by default.
> #
> default=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.18pre21

Try using default = LinuxComp

>From the Manual:

The default image is the first image in the map file or the image specified
with the DEFAULT variable. However, after an unsuccessful boot attempt, the
respective image becomes the default image.

See /usr/share/doc/lilo/Manual.txt for more examples.

--
Scheduled Release Date: A carefully calculated date determined by
estimating the actual shipping date and subtracting six months from it.