Re: Make core files writeable?

On Fri, Sep 28, 2001 at 12:21:19AM +0100, Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:
| I have been asked by an application developer, who is trying to find out
| problems with one of their products running on our server, to set up the
| server so that "core files can be written". What are these, and how would I
| do this?
|
| I have also been instructed to, once a core file is generated, to "rename
| the core file to a unique name and collect a stack backtrace".
|
| 1. How will I know when a core file has been generated?

The above has been answered by a previous poster.

| 2. What is and how do I do a stack backtrace?

A stack backtrace is a listing of the functions on the call stack at
the time of the crash.  It shows the developer where the program
started (main) and where it died (the function on top of the stack)
and how it got to that function.  To get a backtrace run gdb :

    gdb <app> <corefile>

Eg
    gdb `which galeon` core

Then when you get the gdb prompt type 'bt' and copy that output to a
text file.

HTH,
-D