Re: In mail, 'From' becomes '>From'

On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 01:44:33PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
| I've been noticing this on a number of messages both from and to me.
|
| Some lines beginning with 'From' are rewritten as '>From'.  Needless to
| say, this utterly borks things like GPG signatures.

It also gives a bad quoting appearance for many people's quote style.

| I have no idea where this is happening (I run exim, fetchmail and mutt),
| or even if it's characteristic of my system, my ISP
| (Earthlink/Mindspring), or other mail intermediaries.

----- snippet from /etc/exim/exim.conf -----
# This transport is used for procmail

procmail_pipe:
  driver = pipe
  command = "/usr/bin/procmail -d ${local_part}"
  return_path_add
  delivery_date_add
  envelope_to_add
  check_string = "From "
  escape_string = " From "
  user = $local_part
  group = mail

Note the third line from the end.  I changed the escape string from
the default ">From" to " From".  I also do this manually when writing
a message (the color gets funny in vim so it's hard not to notice).  I
guess if you don't use mbox you could escape the string as "From" or
simply not check it.

HTH,
-D