(OT) International Text (was Re: vim 6.0 packages)

On Fri, Sep 28, 2001 at 09:16:07AM +0900, Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:
[ stuff about international text input in vim6 ]

Somehow the default keymap for the console on my laptop from work is
set to use funky key combos for inserting international text.  To get
a ~ or " I have to type the character then space.  If I type something
else I may get interesting charcterst inserted.

I have also kinda followed some XIM discussion on vim-dev.

I am looking for pointers to documents on how international text is
worked with in general and on the linux console and in vim in
particular.  I would like tutorial(s) that explain different encodings
and ways of dealing with them and how to work with unicode (beyond the
ASCII subset ;-)).

TIA,
-D