Re: Make core files writeable?

On Fri, Sep 28, 2001 at 12:21:19AM +0100, Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:
> I have been asked by an application developer, who is trying to find out
> problems with one of their products running on our server, to set up the
> server so that "core files can be written". What are these, and how would I
> do this?

When a program crashes the last thing that happens is that its memory
image is written to a file called core.  Some shells allow to specify
how big such core files may be; bash uses "ulimit -f <#kilobytes>".
Default the max size is 0, so practically prohibiting core dumps.

> I have also been instructed to, once a core file is generated, to "rename
> the core file to a unique name and collect a stack backtrace".
>
> 1. How will I know when a core file has been generated?

when the program crashed lookout for a file called core in your home dir
or in the dir the program started from.

--
groetjes, carel